Wow.
So, it started well enough. We won our game on Saturday. Not our prettiest showing. We scored "grunt" goals, and a defensive miscue led to a goal conceded, but a 3-1 win is something to celebrate.
Sunday was a nightmare.
We were scheduled to play one of the top teams in our league. I had broken my toe the day before, so I was already a little less than optimal.
The game started... we were doing well (if a little gun shy). A few minutes into the game, one of my players went down and didn't get up. As was customary, I ran out to check on her as play was stopped.
I was slightly concerned when I found her crying, knowing she is generally one to pop back up after collisions. I became more concerned when she couldn't move and I had to carry her off the field.
My heart froze when I saw her ankle. By this time, her parents and my manager had made it to us on the sideline. After looking at her leg, we made the immediate decision to take her to the emergency room. I suspected that her ankle was broken.
So, I returned the game really bummed out. The girls were bummed out too. The rest of the half was a blur.
As for the game itself, I was now down to eight players (no subs). Then, another of my ladies fell sick right before the second half began. Yep, I had to play the opposing team a player down. I also had to spend halftime talking and settling my ladies (and myself) down.
I made the adjustments, killing one wing, and then consolidating the middle. Somehow, exhausted, my girls rose to the occasion, and actually controlled the game.
At one point, one of my players went down. She needed to come off, but she looked up, saw her teammates needed her, and jumped up on one foot. To be careful, I took her off anyway, so we we had to play down two players for a spell.
Somehow, some way, it ended at zeros. I was so proud!
Went to the hospital afterwards. Sherry had broken her heel, and was about to be operated upon. It broke my heart to see her in her hospital room.
The operation was a success, and yesterday, we skipped practice to hang out with Sherry at home. Great time. Sherry will be gone for 10 weeks. We also found out that my other player who broke her heel should be back with us next week.
Crazy weekend!
Sent via my BlackBerry.


10:00
Unknown

0 comments:
Post a Comment