metatag verify

...caught in the middle...

Monday, August 04, 2008

Taking charge of technology


I am a techie at heart, so I love to see technology harnessed for the purpose of ministry. I am big fan of "taking it to the streets" and meeting people in their own environment.

When it comes to youth, though, we inevitably face one of two problems. It seems we are either left behind or we become too entrenched in the fad.

I recently read a thread about a youth pastor who wants to initiate bible study with his youth via AIM. I love that, and would be very willing to try it. I think an informal bible study would be great, not just for youth groups, but for small groups as well. It could bridge the gap between the one or two formal church days and the rest of the week.

It would be fairly easy to set up; many phones are equipped with IM-pooling services, and every youth in my last group had unlimited texting plans. You could even use the latest social crazes (think Twitter and Facebook) to enhance such studies.

Point is, our kids are moving, and we need to keep abreast, as long as their interests are served and God is glorified. I believe there are empty spaces; why shouldn't we try to fill it up?

But then there is the flip side; becoming overly dependent on remote servers, and killing the "people" part. Are we prepared for the moments when a text, MMS or email won't just do? Do we remember how to emote, or do we become trapped in a world of cyber-smilies and abbreviations? Do why unconsciously tie in a church's worth to the "quality" of its website and availability of podcasts? Do we measure our respective ministries against the corporate feel of our Blackberries, iPhones and Treos?

Just food for thought... I have been caught in the trap before. I started loving the technology way more than what I supposedly got it for. The presence of Bibles on my Palm became more of draw than the content. I was content to allow my devices and supposed technological know-how transform to the object of my ministry, versus its rightful place as a tool.

Still, temptations aside, I love challenges likes this, and seeing guys and gals thinking outside the box. Bottom line is that we can allow the pulpit be an anchor or we can haul it off with us. As we set the pace for Him.

Another blog that explores how to use technology for ministerial endeavors is Mobile Ministry Magazine. I do contribute there from time-to-time.

1 comments:

Antoine said...

Just wait until you see the next challenges to come; they will make getting with people all that much more important :)

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Powered by Blogger