metatag verify

...caught in the middle...

Saturday, August 09, 2008

New season

I have coached soccer through the years... different age groups, both sexes. Having just moved back to North Carolina (where youth soccer is huge) I have been blessed with an opportunity to work with two teams for two clubs.

Being a coach is a huge honor. You have sponges in front of you, and everything you do has to be up to par. Thus, you rise up to the challenge of being a better person, or you get tossed to the wayside. There is very little room for moral ambivalence, so you tend to be surrounded by upstanding folks, and good company tends to breed good habits in oneself.

I have learned not to make promises, particularly with girls. Never, ever say that you will do some act if they win some difficult game. This is why I have pictures that may preclude me from ever holding public office.

The best part is that you learn how to learn. You almost always take something away from every team you are involved with, if you are open. The relationships you develop with players and parents are meant to be cherished. I still call some of my "original" parents today, who live far away. Some of my "kids" are in college, and the phone calls are things that will never get old.

I love the game, but it is the people and experiences that make it so worthwhile. I cannot wait to create new memories with my current team.

0 comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Powered by Blogger