I loved that commercial... fairly funny, and the first time you hear it, you really have to do a double take to make sure you there aren't a few sailors in the clip.
Even funnier is the fact that the meaning is clearly not hidden in the made-for-TV euphemisms that were created to take the place of venom-laced profanity.
"What the french toast?"
Most people will tell you that words do indeed hurt, sometimes worse than sticks, stones, switches and paddles. Words carry the power to build, but can also create destruction. They can build needed compromise, or can fuel strife. 
If you ever need a learner on the intricacies of flowery speech, watch C-Span. Shoot for a UN meeting, or statements from foreign leaders. It is remarkable how friendly folks can be on the surface, while the palpable hatred steams just below the surface. A misplaced word in diplomacy can create ripple effects for years to come.
Different situations call for different responses. Anyone who has coached both boys and girls can relate. I have learned that the way I correct a miscue with the average boy might not work for the average girl. A cutting glare does not have the same effect; Yelling "Why?" can be interpreted a million ways with a difference in tone and inflection.
I think we underestimate the power of words, particularly when we feel the urge to use them negatively. Conversely, we underestimate the power of timely words in the lives of people who need encouragement and kindness. A biting word can live for ages, creating alternate or even primary psyches that underline the owner's damaged perception of self. I wonder how many family feuds have been created from a "simple" word said in anger or disgust. I bet your bottom dollar that Romeo and Juliet sacrificed their lives of one.
But even in reality, the truth is self-evident. Look in the newspaper. "Racca-ing" is alive and well.
Now, I am not saying that the truth should not be told. Heck, the other day, my little girl was singing. Let's just say that she is not ready for a major singing contract just yet.
"Did you like that, Daddy?"
"Sure... kind of..." I replied uneasily, I mean God loves a cheerful noise, right? She kept on singing.
Eventually, I couldn't take the screeching any longer, so I hushed her up and got her to practice reading. Harsh? Maybe, but American Idol auditions are populated with people whose parents refused to tell them the truth early on. So, for now, she has to focus on studying; best for her to rely on her brains...
Just an early morning thought. Say something nice to someone today. Words can hurt us, but The Word sets us free.
Tuesday, September 02, 2008
Sticks and stones
10:17
Unknown



0 comments:
Post a Comment