I am a nobody.
I have a healthy sense of self-worth, but in the big picture, I am tiny. What it comes to heavy hitters in the church, I might crack the top 20 Million List. Maybe. Locally. Nah... I don't have a Wiki entry, and my Twitter followers list is pretty small. On Facebook, I'd have even fewer but for the long list of former players and youth I have mentored over the years.
My rants don't go viral at all; when reporters are looking for soundbites from prominent ministers, I don't get calls, and no president has requested my presence at the Inauguration. Now that I think about it, not even local councilperson has asked my thoughts on any particular topic.
My youth group is relatively small. The church where I serve at has a smaller congregation than the number of people who work the parking lots at some churches in the same city. In our part of town, you might not hear about churches making responsible pushes for renewable energy, but you might hear of (or actually physically hear) a shooting.
Nah, we are not rolling in the dough right now. Charlotte was hit hard by the mortgage fiasco, and the effects trickled down. In the past year or two, my church has even come to understand the word "under-employed" with regards to having a job... sort of. A lot of people can relate to that. I mean, to make it to camp last year, my youth group depended on the goodness of a former player's parent who donated a huge sum to our group.
Charlotte is a city of dichotomy. There is so much, and so little. Frankly, there is only so much that people like me can do in my insulated bubbles, because we don't have a lot to give. There will be homeless, hungry, hurting people because there just ain't enough love to go around.
And I have been BRILLIANT at lying to myself. Tough talk, but truth hurts.
In my little nook, I am big stuff. I do make a difference. It is humbling and uplifting at the same time. When Ms Jackie gives me a kiss on the cheek and blesses me for my work, or a parent thanks me for taking time, or a youth tells me he thinks he may be called to minister... I remember that God has a plan, and I need to work harder to listen, and to follow. Now, I need to make a bigger difference, because I can. I can be a better follower, husband, dad, son, brother, uncle, nephew, pastor, trainer. And even more.
There is a lot of work to be done, and I refuse to trick myself into believing He is calling someone else to do it. And as I call myself out, I pray God gives me the strength to be who He needs me to be.
Let's go get 'em!


11:00
Unknown


2 comments:
Tre,
I just discovered you via an unlikely avenue; but, isn't that the strange, wondrously connected way of the web? I was searching for "to-do" apps and found your article at churchmag, clicked on your link, read some more and came to this post.
Thank you for this. I needed to read this very thing today and be reminded about Who's work I am to daily be involved - His work, using my gifts as a channel for His love.
And, coincidentally, my family and I are moving to NC soon (not Charlotte, alas, but Asheville and the Smokies).
Love your writing and great articles. Heading off to Twitter to follow you!
Never underestimate your worth. You are the most capable, talented, gifted man I know. God has a mighty plan for your life. I am excited to have a front row seat when you discover the full extent of His greatness inside of you. You may be a small fish in your eyes, but not in His. And definitely not in mine. I love you, and so do our babies.
Post a Comment