![]() |
| Courtesy of Katja Giersig via Flickr CC |
It might have been when I discovered my toddler daughter thought my midsection was a combo trampoline and pillow.
In any case, I recently decided that fitness will return to my neck of the woods.
It won't be easy. I like to eat. Ethnic, soul food, Qdoba burritos... I love them all. The thought of leaving the skin of chicken wounds my soul. I am also hearing that my 2 AM snack may have to go away, too. That alarms me.
It's not like I haven't tried before. Months ago, I decided that my fitness regimen would not just consist of Wii-based aerobics. I woke up before the sun, and told my groggy wife that I was off to recapture my youth. She rolled over.
I limped up about 45 minutes later. She glanced at me quizzically, but looked impressed.
"How did your run go?" then she noticed my injury. "What happened?"
"I hurt my hamstring" I dodgily replied.
"How?
"Stretching."
She wouldn't stop. "How far had you run?"
"Run? I never left the house. I pulled the muscle while stretching."
She rolled back over.
If I am gonna be completely honest, I can probably point out when sense of self-preservation overcame my built-in excuses. Over the summer, while escorting my youth group to a camp in West Virginia, I decided to go for a run. It was about time, too. Minus scrimmage time with my soccer teams, I hadn't run in like forever (well maybe not forever... just a decade. Or two). I strapped on my green and grey kicks, and was rocking my matching green shirt and grey shorts. Yes, yes... I was styling out in the mountains! You never know when Adidas might need a dark, svelte frontman. Or a dark frontman.
Had my music, Runkeeper software going, and I set off. I did a good pace, if I may say so myself. I pushed myself harder than I pushed myself physically in a long, long time. I ran till my eyes got blurry and I collapsed on the soccer field in exhaustion.
Mentally, I shocked myself. I instinctively knew I had ran something like a marathon, but I was humble enough to know I wasn't gonna be breaking any world or county records.
When I recovered enough to lift an arm, I checked my time. Without getting too much into it, something was wrong with Runkeeper. It claimed I had run 0.49 miles; I knew I had run at least 49.
You just can't trust this new-fangled technology anyway. Whatever. It was a near-death experience. And then the irritating piece of software asked if I wanted to share the results with my friends on Twitter and Facebook. Seriously? Where were these friends when I was in desperate need of oxygen?
That near-death experience help me decide that I am tired of hearing folks say that I carry my 190 lbs on my 5'9" frame "very well". I don't necessarily want my weight to be a situation, but I wouldn't mind getting some tone like The Situation (but please, please, hold the tan for the love of all that is decent and natural). Franky, I am tired of everyone else getting fit. I see Derek taunting me with Runkeeper stats on Facebook. Like every day, seemingly. I got Cass over there, running marathons, and now deliberately getting on my nerves by doing triathlons. I mean, come on. Pam, Heather, Jen... all y'all infuriate me.
Even my kid brother is all out, running and getting in shape. This truly provokes me, because I suspect he could probably beat my 0.49-mile time.
I am calling myself out. Why? Because I know y'all will call me out,. I know y'all hold me accountable in my quest to preemptively prepare for the inevitable "Fit-Bodied Baptist Church Workers" reality series.
I am gonna need some Bengay.


10:00
Unknown



5 comments:
Uhm, somehow you lump me in there with the getting fit? Yeah, a couple of times a week, I hit the treadmill and WALK. But I won't let you front on your blog that I am doing something like running. Unless you mean another Pam, in which case, carry on.
Oh, and BioFreeze is much better than BenGay.
I'm right there with ya. Just started back. I have every excuse in the world. For goodness sakes... we have a FREE gym at the office! But I'm too busy, or it's too much work to get in there and get showered and back to work. But I'm doing it. You can to. Keep me updated :)
I just started the Couch to 5K (C25K) program. I'm on week one. Have been for 2 weeks. Using ExerTime app on my droid to help with that. Runkeeper may do the same thing.
My aching muscles are enjoying the peppermint oil I'm letting soak into them. We'll see how long this lasts...
LOL! I haven't done a triathlon yet. I'm going to try and get on with Tri It For Life in the spring so I can train for Rambling Rose.
At this point I'm just trying to get into a solid week 7 of C25K (we keep repeating week 6) and then of course I have yoga. :) So those are the only updates you'll see from me right now.
So, since my husband is all into this running thing, I decided to give it a whirl. I am proud to announce that I ran briskly all the way from the kids' bus stop this morning. I did not stretch, so I have no pulled muscles. I almost ruptured a lung, but I did not stop. Thank you. That's all.
Post a Comment