As I have come to believe, convergence of devices is now the name of the game. It seems in our quest to achieve simplicity, we may be willing to sacrifice optional quality... within reason, of course.
In this article from Yahoo Finance, the author suggests that traditional cameras may be on the way to becoming obsolete.
I don't think he is too far off the mark.
I don't know that Nikon, Kodak or Canon are ready to cede the shutter battle just yet, but then again, it wasn't so long ago that I was taking rolls of film to the drugstore to get developed.
Now? I can snap and share via Facebook, Twitter, Flickr and Dropbox in sixty seconds or less on my Android device. The dual cameras may not win me a Pulitzer Prize, but being able to have a portable camera with me to catalog something funny or memorable at any given time is priceless.
That is a big draw for me. The ability to leave physical bible, camera, checkbook, mp3 player, day-timer, laptop, etc. behind is invaluable. If there is something that can be done effectively on my device, then that is where I want it done. Anytime I have to carry a secondary device, I have the nagging feeling that I have failed at choice of platform and/or device.
Some companies are adjusting to consumer convergence. Even as Amazon and Barnes & Noble make better standalone e-readers, they are spending money to push what could be called competitors to their own hardware: their own software for the major mobile OS platforms. In other words, I can buy a Kindle device, or still have the option of downloading the free Kindle software to my EVO to access e-books that way.
It's all about ease of use and speed of delivery. It's all about how fast you can get a document from a bulletin board to a fellow staffer.
So... do I boot up the scanner and desktop or plop out the EVO with Camscanner?
As Black Sheep said... the choice is yours.


10:00
Unknown

0 comments:
Post a Comment